Frequently Asked Questions
Got questions? We’ve got answers below.
What can I do with Box?
You can take advantage of Box’s easy collaboration features to work with your team on shared content like project documentation or other essential items. Box allows for:
- Easy file version management (always know when shared files have been modified and by whom)
- User controlled access levels -you decide who should have access to your content and at what level (sharing, upload, download, edit rights, etc.)
- Quick insights into who has viewed or downloaded your files
- Large, secure file sharing (up to 150GB)
What do I need to access Box?
All you need is your browser! This is for all users, whether you are on the MITRE network or not. Navigate to https://mitre.box.com and log in with your credentials. You will see folders that have been shared with you. Select a folder and click the New button to add files –or, click Share to invite others into your folders. You can even drag-and-drop files right into the browser window for an easy upload.
I am partnering with MITRE, how do I get a Box account?
Box is automatically provisioned for MITRE employees. You must be invited to Box by a MITRE employee through email. As a guest, you are required to set up a free Box account, if they do not have one already. Additional instructions are provided in the invitation.
How much content can I upload? Are there any file restrictions?
Every user can upload an unlimited number of files, as long as each file is under the 150GB limit. There are no limitations on what kinds of files you can upload.
What are information sensitivity restrictions?
Check the Team Collaboration page for latest guidance.
What do the different color folders mean?
- Yellow folders are created by you and completely private.
- Blue folders let you know that other collaborators have been invited into a shared folder that you own.
- Grey folders in your account are owned externally and you have been invited as a collaborator.
I suspect that my Sponsor/Partner organization is blocking access to Box – how can I confirm?
Is MITRE tracking what Sponsors and other organizations are blocking access to Box?
Yes. If you come across an organization that is blocking Box, please notify us so that we can investigate further and work on unblocking.
I (or my Sponsor) can’t access Box on – why is this?
An organizational policy may be blocking Box on a particular network. The known blockage locations are:
- DOD (DOD SAFE is available as an alternative)
- DISA / DOD CIO
- OSD / OUSD
- Air Force (unblocking discussions are under way)
- Army (under investigation)
- DARPA (uses Box, however)
- DIA (unblocking discussions are under way)
- DHS / HSSEDI (ATO is being updated)
- CBP should be unblocked
- VA (workaround is being explored)
- IRS (unblocked per request; more permanent solution is being explored)
- HRSA (requires Box provision on Sponsor’s side)
- BEP (compliance discussions have been started)
- Census Bureau
- Royal Australian Navy / DPN
If you are running into issues at a location not listed above, please let MPN Support (email@example.com) know.
How long does content stay on Box?
Content is kept in Box for the length of the project.
Where do I go for help? How can I get more information?
Additional quick help answers are found in the IT Service Desk’s Knowledge Base Search (MITRE only). Type the keyword, “Box” into the search field for a list of FAQ articles.
Box User Community
Join the conversation on Slack’s #box-user-community.
Submit a Ticket
For assistance or troubleshooting.
Answers to commonly asked questions.