Secure File Transfer (SFT) Retirement
Why is SFT/Kiteworks being retired?
SFT/Kiteworks has been an important component of MPN for over ten years. During that time, MITRE has moved beyond shuttling files back and forth over the firewall, and towards more meaningful and collaborative engagements with our external Partners. Box has been in use at MITRE for several years, and has proven itself to be a reliable, capable platform for modern content collaboration.
How can I learn more about SFT’s replacement, Box?
- Review training materials from the Box support site
- Join the Box user community on Slack
- Dive in! Log into Box
If you have additional questions about Box, want to discuss additional integrations, or are running into hurdles when working with external Partners – please contact email@example.com
• November 1st: Solutions Live training on using Box.
• November 18th: limits to new content uploads introduced.
• December 15th: de-facto retirement date for SFT/Kiteworks.
Frequently Asked Questions
What platform should I use to store files that once resided on SFT/Kiteworks?
It depends. We recommend that you use OneDrive to store/share your internal files. Use Box to store/share files with external parties.
Will my data get copied over automatically?
At this time, an automatic transition is not planned, since content in SFT/Kiteworks is completely unstructured. You can use the following steps to copy data over:
– In SFT/Kiteworks, select a folder, and press “Download”. This will pull down the entire folder, including any subdirectories, in a ZIP file.
– Install Box Sync, which allows you to synchronize folder(s) on your computer with Box.
– Create a new Box folder via the sync client.
– Unzip the downloaded file into that new folder, and let Box push it up to the server.
Do permissions migrate along with files from SFT/Kiteworks to Box?
In short, no. Box uses different accounts/invitations from SFT/Kiteworks – plus, project folders in Box will be organized in a structured way for better findability.
What training opportunities are available to move to Box?
We are hosting a Solutions Live event on November 1 from 12-12:30. If you miss the live event, watch on demand via FastJump: Solutions Live.
I use SFT/Kiteworks when working at a sponsor site to transfer files to my MITRE laptop. Can I use Box or another method for this same purpose?
Yes, you can move files from your Box account to your computer. If you need other corporate file storage/sharing options, see this infographic.
I suspect that my Sponsor/Partner organization is blocking access to Box – how can I confirm?
Send your external partner the Welcome to Box link. If they cannot access it, please notify us.
Is MITRE tracking what Sponsors and other organizations are blocking access to Box?
Yes. If you come across an organization that is blocking Box, please notify us so that we can investigate further and work on unblocking.